Associate Professor, Gender and Women's Studies
- MA, Women’s Studies, York
- PhD, Social and Political Thought, York
A Cultural Politics of Unknowable Femininity, 1910-39, funded by a SSHRC Insight grant, 2013-17.
A transnational analysis of images of women as spectacularly unknowable in feminized mass cultural domains in the early twentieth century, including the beauty and fashion press, beauty manuals, window display, and film celebrity. The project traces the epistemological implications of such figurations and their relevance to modernity and modernist studies, and contributes to recent feminist interrogations of concepts of visibility, voice, and presence.
The Feminist-Wedding-Industrial Complex? Love and Capital in Digital Feminist Wedding Culture.
This project explores a burgeoning wedding culture that has lately emerged to produce and mediate weddings embodying values associated with intersectional feminism. Attending primarily to feminist digital wedding media, it considers the imaginaries of gender, love and capital being forged through this new wedding culture and what they might reveal about the changing relationship between capitalism and feminist and queer-identified subjects.
- Feminist social and cultural theory
- Fashion and dress
- Theories of modernity
- Early twentieth-century cultural formations
Poiret, Dior and Schiaparelli: Fashion, Femininity and Modernity. London: Berg, 2012
Cultures of Femininity in Modern Fashion. Ed. Ilya Parkins and Elizabeth M. Sheehan. Lebanon, NH: University Press of New England, 2011.
“Domesticating Enchantment: Mediating Feminine Magic in the Interwar French Fashion Magazine.” French Cultural Studies 28, no. 4: 344-59.
“‘Eve Goes Synthetic’: Modernizing Feminine Beauty, Renegotiating Masculinity in Britannia and Eve.” In The Edinburgh Companion to Women’s Print Media in Interwar Britain, edited by Catherine Clay et al. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press, 2017.
“Hurricane Sandy in Vogue: Fashion, Disaster, and Urban Neoliberalism.” Australian Feminist Studies 30, no. 85 (2015): 221-37.
"Fashion" in The Cambridge Companion to Modernist Culture, ed. Celia Marshik, pp. 96-110. Cambridge University Press, 2014.
“Texturing Visibility: Opaque Femininities and Feminist Modernist Studies,” Feminist Review 107 (2014): 57-74.
“ ‘Nineteen Funerals’: Ethics of Remembering Murdered Women in a Service Learning Classroom,” Review of Education, Pedagogy and Cultural Studies 36, no. 2 (2014): 127-43.
- “Territories of Knowledge and Nostalgia in Modern Fashion Designer Life Writing.” In Fashion in Popular Culture: Literature, Media and Contemporary Studies, ed. Joseph Hancock, Vicki Karaminas and Toni Johnson-Woods. London: Intellect, 2013: 103-20.
- (with Lara Haworth) "The Public Time of Private Space in Dior by Dior." Biography 35, no.4 (2012):628-49.
- " Elsa Schiaparelli and the Epistemology of Glamorous Silence." Topia 25 (2011): 20-25.
- “Fashion as Methodology: Rewriting the Time of Women’s Modernity.” Time and Society 19, no. 1 (2010): 98-119.
- “Building a Feminist Theory of Fashion. Karen Barad’s Agential Realism.” Australian Feminist Studies 23, no. 58 (2008): 501-15.
- “Teaching Fashion and Feminist Theory: The Pedagogical Project of Ambivalence.” Transformations: The Journal of Inclusive Scholarship and Pedagogy 12, no. 2 (2007-08): 67-82.
- Secretary, Executive Board, Women’s and Gender Studies et Recherches Féministes, 2015-18
- Member-at-Large, Executive Board, Women’s and Gender Studies et Recherches Féministes, 2012-14
Winner of the 2013 Provost's Award for Teaching Excellence and Innovation (UBC, Okanagan Campus)
- GWST 100, Gender, Race, Sexuality and Power I: An Introduction
- GWST 215, Women and Popular Culture
- GWST 216, Histories of Difference in Feminism
- GWST 333, Perspectives on Gendered Bodies
- GWST 335, Feminist Theory in the Humanities
- GWST 419, Gender, Dress and Fashion: Histories and Theories
- GWST 430, Femininities
Last reviewed 11/27/2017 9:46:56 AM
Community, Culture, and Global Studies
Irving K. Barber School of Arts & Sciences
University of British Columbia - Okanagan
1147 Research Road